You may remember a little while back that I was thinking about new schools for my children as we are soon moving house. Well, after contacting the schools I found that they were all pretty much full up! So I went further afield, something I didn't really want to do as it would involve public transport, but again, it was difficult to find places. Ironically, the closest school does have places for Star and the Little Man but not Boo, so it looks like it will be my first choice. As far as Boo is concerned, none of the eleven schools I have tried so far have places for her. By law she will be provided with a place which could possibly be a couple of bus journey's away, and a different school to her siblings.
Another spanner in the works is the fact that come September the LEA are changing things so that the schools themselves handle all applicants for school places. This means things could be even more difficult as they will be thinking about their schools not about the child. It could be a lot more difficult to get places.
After speaking to someone at Schools and Admissions I have been advised to submit my application forms to them so they can get them over to the schools before September and we will be on the waiting list. The problem is, I have until 20th August to do this with proof of my new address. Just to complicate things even more, we've just heard that the contractors will not be handing over the house until the 2nd of September. This is the third date we've been given so far so it could even be later.
So, what do I do?
I will submit my forms with my new address and if they require proof try and delay them. Hopefully, it won't be an immediate request and we might just be in the house in time.
I'm going to put both girls down for the nearest schools and hope that we will be near the top of the list for Boo as we are very close to the schools and her sibling will be there (hopefully)
I will choose the other school that had a place for Star and then pick the next nearest which had no places at all. Then I guess it will be a complete lottery if we get any places at all.
If it comes down to applying for schools in September then I will have the backing of the girl's current/previous headmaster who has offered to speak to the schools on my behalf.
So, while most parents are out buying new uniforms for their children to go back to school I'm feeling lost. I don't even have a school for my girls and everything seems all down to chance. As a person who likes order and control in my life it's driving me insane.
Home schooling as been suggested to me and to be honest I'd love to give it a try, but I don't have the backing of the family. The Dad will not even hear of it and Eldest Daughter thinks it would be a big mistake. I know from experience that home schooling is not easy, so without the family backing me I don't think it's an option.
At present my biggest nightmare would be having to accept a school place miles away. I don't mind walking if it's near enough but I've tried every school in walking distance without any luck. On my current budget I'm not even sure I could afford the bus fare.
Actually that is not my biggest nightmare, that would be having the girls in different schools miles apart, and then the Little Man in a different nursery.
The whole situation is currently a nightmare and I just want to wake up and know what is going to happen in September.