I did get Boo to help me mix up the cake this year, she wanted to cook so I gave her some jobs. She was not impressed though and did ask if it would be okay if she didn't eat any.
When making your Christmas Cake you need to prepare your tin. I used an 8" round tin with a loose bottom. It has to be lightly greased and lined with greaseproof paper. Then you have to cover the outside of the tin with folded greaseproof paper and tie it on.
- 1lb mixed fruit and candy, you can buy bags from the supermarket expecially for cakes.
- 5tbs of brandy
- 225g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g dark muscovado sugar
- 4 eggs
- grated zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 1 tbs of treacle
MethodPlace the dried fruit in a bowl and cover with the brandy. Leave overnight to soak.
- preheat the oven to 140C gas mark1
- cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- beat the eggs and add them a little at a time, beating thouroughly after each addition
- sieve flour, salt and spices into a mixing bowl
- fold the flour and spice mix into the butter, sugar and eggs mix
- add the soaked fruit and excess brandy
- add the ctrus zest and treacle
- mix to combine all ingredients
- pour into prepared pan
- bake for 4 hours
Here is my finished cake. In the week before Christmas I will decorate it with marzipan and icing. I've not decided yet on the decoration, but here is last years cake.