So with the bake off over and no more challenges I was feeling a little bereft...then a new challenge popped through my letterbox. Can I make a hen inspired cake? Of course I had to give it a go, with the help of the kids in the kitchen of course.
The Little Man helped me make the cake, which was a basic sponge. I even let him use my new apple mixing bowl which I won from Silver Mushroom for my Mokatines challenge. (I can and I will)
Here's my recipe for an 8 inch square sponge:
225g self-raising flour
225g caster sugar
4 Happy Eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
for the butter cream;
100g soft butter
200g seived icing sugar
- mix the butter with caster sugar until smooth and creamy
- add the eggs one at a time beating each one in
- add the vanilla extract
- add the flour and fold in gently
- pour into tin and bake for around 40 mins at 180C
- cake will be springy when ready and you should check with a skewer, make sure it comes out clean.
when the cake had cooled I cut it into a smaller square and used the left over pieces to make a roof. This was to make my barn.
The hens and flowers I made from fondant icing and Boo helped me to make them.
So, now I'm waiting for my next challenge :)