My usual carrot cake recipe contains 115ml of vegetable oil, and 115g of sugar. I figured there had to be a healthier recipe.
Today I think I cracked it. It wasn't exactly the best looking carrot cake I've made, but it was tasty. I'd even go as far as to say I prefer it to my regular recipe!
I'm not saying that this recipe is calorie free, but the ingredients work out better for you. It also contains carrots, and we all know how wonderful they are ;)
Healthier Carrot Cake
2 tbs melted coconut oil
250g ground almonds
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tbs golden syrup
3 medium carrots, grated
50g chopped walnuts
200g full-fat cream cheese
100g greek yoghurt
50g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
If you want to make the cake healthier you could bake it as a tray bake and omit the filling.
- grease and line two 23cm cake tins (or one 20 x 40cm baking tin if you are making a traybake.)
- combine the ground almonds with the salt, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg
- in another bowl beat the eggs then add the golden syrup and coconut oil and mix well
- add the carrots, raisins and chopped walnuts to the egg mixture
- mix the egg mixture into the dry ingredients
- pour into the cake tins and spread out evenly
- bake in oven, pre-heated to 180C/gas mark 6, for 30 minutes
- leave to cool while you make filling
- mix together all the ingredients for the filling until smooth and creamy, place in fridge until cake is cooled.
- fill the cakes with 2 thirds of the filling mix and then sandwich them together
- use final third of filling to spread on top of the cake and decorate with walnuts if you wish.
|cake mix ready for oven|
It's very rustic looking, but it tastes amazing!