Today's Blogtober16 prompt is simply 10 favourite foods.
Being a bit of a foodie I have to say I have many more than 10 favourites so I'll have to cut them down.
When I was young I had problems with food, I must have drove my mum insane. She never made me separate meals though, I had to eat what I was given or go without. When I turned vegetarian at thirteen she said ok you get egg and chips everyday! Good job I didn't decide to be a vegan then.
I didn't stay vegetarian for more than three years though, which is a shame because I could live quite easily without meat, it's just more difficult once you are part of a meat eating family and you are cooking for them.
Also, I didn't eat fish as a child. As an adult I only ate salmon and tuna and despised white fish. Now, I'd say I love fish. I don't know what happened, maybe my taste buds changed once I reached forty, but I now like fish much more than I like meat.
Lets get on with it, here are my top 10 favourite foods that make me happy. Not in any particular order, just 10 of the best.
1. Cake! I love cake, fruit cake, sponge cake, chocolate cake, carrot cake even beetroot cake. I love decorating cakes too but I've lost a lot of my skills this year now my hands hurt. Here is a recipe for a recent cake I made which is currently my favourite. Toffee Apple and Pecan cake.
2. Fish: As I said, I love fish. Tuna, Salmon, Trout, Cod, haddock. I've yet to find one I don't like now, although I don't like smoked fish. In fact I don't like anything smoked. Some of my favourite fish recipes are Salmon Swirls or Salmon and Leek Quiche.
3. Sushi: There was a time when most people thought that sushi was just raw fish and rice. I love sushi of all kinds, including the raw fish which is actually called sashimi. My favourite sushi is either a California Roll or Kappa Maki which is cucumber! We have even made fruit sushi, which we called Frushi.
4. Cheese: I love cheese, I have to limit myself because I would eat it all the time. We have a cheesy New Year tradition were we have a huge selection of cheese and crackers and a few bottles of nice wine and we sit and watch a favourite classic movie. I don't mind if my cheese is soft or hard or crumbly or even blue. I also love it when it has things added like cranberries, chillies or nuts. Yum.
5. Chocolate: Goes without saying. Chocolate is fab it makes you feel so good. I'm really not fussy about it, I do prefer creamy milk chocolate like Cadburys, but I also like Thorntons or Hotel Chocolat. I read somewhere once that a gift from Thorntons or Hotel Chocolat is a last minute gift because the person has forgotten about getting something thoughtful. Needless to say, I'm not of that thinking. Give me chocolate and I love you! Simple.
6. Chicken: I love chicken because it's so very versatile. If you need to cook a meal and don't have a clue then grab some chicken and do whatever, spicy, saucy, citrus, plain, put it in a pie, fry it, batter it, crumb it. I know you can do a lot of these things with all meats but chicken is also the quickest to cook. It's a must in our house.
7. Bread: Bread is not just an accompaniment it's an essential food in our house. I love making my own bread and my recipe for really easy Pitta Bread is one of my most read posts on this blog.
9. Curry: We tend to have a home made curry most weeks, it may be an Indian Balti, Tikka Masala or Chinese style fish curry. Our family favourite is a Mabo Curry which is made with minced pork and tofu. I can't believe I haven't shared the recipe on my blog but it's usually my eldest daughter who cooks it and she does it so well. The curry actually originates from a game so there isn't an exact recipe. Ours looks like this image (link to recipe included if you click image) but we don't use curry cubes. If you did want to try them you can buy them as Katsu Curry cubes in supermarkets.
10. Pie: Whether it's meat, fruit or vegetable I really love pie. probably because I really love pastry. I don't even mind which kind of pastry covers my pie, puff, shortcrust, water crust even suet. In this post my kid in the kitchen give you both savoury and sweet pie recipes.
My daughter has begged me to include Cheese Sticks because she loves, and my Other Half's favourite is home made curry. My eldest daughter loves something that actually made me feel ill when I tried it, it's called Takoyaki...look it up, but it contains something with tentacles yuk!