Here is my first recipe from the book, Night Terror Torte.
The instructions say.."Be sure to think truly appalling thoughts as you make this torte - you will find that the screams of your victims will have an extra edge of misery if you do."
Well, I didn't really have appalling thoughts but I did make it while in a lot of pain, so hopefully some of my victims felt the benefit...*insert evil cackle*
Actually, as you can see from this recipe, the torte is incredibly delicious and I would definitely make it again.
Night Terror Torte
Ingredients, serves 8 monsters:
200g caster sugar
4 tbs water
2 oranges, thinly sliced
475g sweet shortcrust pastry
100g butter, soft
100g ground almonds
2 eggs, lightly beaten
100g of dark chocolate
- Put half the sugar and the measured water in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the orange slices and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes until the oranges are tender and most of the syrup has evaporated. let cool.
- Roll out the pasty on a lightly floured surface until a little larger than a greased 9 1/2 inch fluted loose-bottomed tart tin.
- line the tin with the pasty and chill for 15 minutes
- Line the tart with nonstick baking paper, add baking beans and place on a baking sheet.
- bake in a preheated oven, 190C gas mark 5 for 10 minutes
- Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C, gas mark 4
- Beat together the butter and the remaining sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the ground almonds, then gradually beat in the eggs until smooth. Set Aside
- Reserve 10 of the best orange slices, then drain and chop the rest.
- Stir the chocolate into the almond mixture, then mix in the chopped oranges.
- Spread into the tart case, arrange the reserved orange slices on top and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before removing from the tin.
Slice and Enjoy!
The Hoxton Street Monster Supplies Cookbook comes from the Hoxten Street Shop found in East London (unsurprisingly on Hoxton Street) and is the purveyor off all kinds of everyday items for the living, dead and undead. Due to a curse all profits got to The Ministry of Stories, a creative writing and mentoring charity for young humans. At the shop you will such goodies as Earwax Cubes, Salt Made From Tears of Anger or Banshee Balls as well as the fabulous cookbook.
So if you are looking to treat that monster in your life, you now know where to go.
So let's get on with the competition.
The question can be found in the Rafflecopter Gadget and you can answer in the comments. If you answer in the comments you do not have to fill in the gadget but it will give you more entries into the competion.
UK only, sorry
Please make sure you leave me your e-mail for contacting the winners
Winners will be chosen at random
The rafflecopter gadget will appear on other posts but you only need to fill it in once
No prize alternative will be offered
Prizes will be sent out by Hoxton Street Monster Supplies
Raisiebay will not be responsible for unreceived prizes
Prizes must be claimed within 28 days after the close of the competition.
Competition will close on November 29th 2016
All entries will be checked
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Pin this for later!