My Sunday Photo – 3rd December 2017

A pale pink axolotyl, which is a little like a salamander. This one is in his tank with red reeds and sitting on a bed of stones. He is pale pink in colour.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Last weekend we were at Hatton visiting the Enchanted Christmas Kingdom to see Father Christmas. We also had time to walk around the farm and one of the warmest places was in with the amphibians. Here you could find Star who just couldn’t tear herself away from this Axolotl. I thought it was a little weird looking with it’s pale pink flesh and gills and tiny lidless eyes. But Star could see it’s beauty and was totally captivated.
@lefthanded on Instagram kindly shared this rhyme from MAD magazine.

I’ve heard it said of Aristotle, he kept a pet: an axolotl, coloured green – a sort of mottle, in a kennel made of wattle. But its baby epiglotl couldn’t cope and made it throttle.

Google also tells me that if you have an Axolotl as a pet it will eat other aquatic animals and that they can grow up to 25cm and maybe even bigger. I think this one must have been nearly 25cm.
Have you ever seen an Axolotl? Do you think this one is beautiful?

I pin My Sunday Photo pics I visit on my Pinterest Board. Please let me know if you wish your photo to be removed.

1. December 3, 2017 / 10:53 am

for me sometimes, the uglier, less attractive something is, the more I find it's beauty and see beyond the outer image #mysundayphoto

2. December 3, 2017 / 12:17 pm

Wow it's certainly an interesting looking creature

3. chantelle hazelden
    December 3, 2017 / 12:29 pm

I can see the fascination, a rather peculiar looking thing! #mysundayphot

4. comfortspring
    December 3, 2017 / 1:07 pm

It is a weird little thing – very interesting

5. December 3, 2017 / 1:40 pm

What an interesting creature. I've not even heard of an Axolotl or seen one. x

6. December 3, 2017 / 2:57 pm

Oh my nephew had an Axolotl and I just could warm to it no matter how I tried much to my nephews disappointment.

December 3, 2017 / 9:24 pm

What a fascinating creature, I'd have been glued to it too

8. December 4, 2017 / 1:54 pm

Naughty Axolotl gobbling up others! I think its paleness makes it initially unattractive. I'm sure it's quite a character though.

December 6, 2017 / 4:21 am

Hi Anne, what a strange looking creature! It reminds me of a fillet of fish with arms and legs. A type of prehistoric sea lizard. I can't say I've seen one… I'll let you into a secret, I never venture too far out in the sea because I have this fear of unknown sea creatures beneath me and if there is no one else swimming nearby wallow like a three-year-old in the shallows! I a similar feeling of foreboding when in a swimming pool too! All since watching that damned film Jaws!

10. liquoriceuk
    December 9, 2017 / 2:38 pm

I don't think I've ever seen an Axolotl before. It certainly is very interesting-looking. I can see why Star was fascinated by it.