Our Day out at Stratford Upon Avon and the MAD Museum

I haven’t visited Stratford On Avon for many years so I was excited at getting to visit the place with the kids. Of course everyone knows that Stratford is popular with tourists because it was where William Shakespeare was born and it is the home of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre which sits on the river side. It really is a beautiful place to visit.

The plan was to picnic by the riverside but a couple of things got in the way. One was the hassle of getting out the door which didn’t leave me time to make a picnic, the other was the weather, which was a little bit dreary. Normally we wouldn’t let a little dark clouds and occasional drizzle put us off but one of the ways we’d managed to get out the house was to promise a certain family member lunch in Mc Donalds. We did have a little walk along the river and went the wrong way ending up walking along the canal instead.

After a bumpy start we scoffed our Mc Donalds and decided to go to plan B which was a visit to the MAD Museum. After a short walk we arrived at a tiny entrance and went upstairs to a small museum. It cost me just over £25 to get in and I can honestly say it was money well spent. We all loved it. Just in case you are wondering, MAD stands for Mechanical Art Design. I’ve created a little video of some of the things we discovered there.

As well as the installations there were many things for the kids, and adults, to do. There was the opportunity to build a huge marble run out of many different pieces of wooden blocks. There was also three whole walls in which to build marble runs out of. It’s kind of hard to explain so here’s a photo, just imagine to be able to move all of those pieces to make your marble run. (then imagine it spanning three walls.)

There are also all the touristy things to do in Stratford On Avon. Like see Shakespeare’s Birthplace. You can, of course go inside, but we gave this a miss because it was getting late. Plus, I don’t get to see much in my wheelchair.

We loved the Nutcracker shop where it’s Christmas all year around.

The Teddy Bear Shop is also a must visit, the girls loved it in here.

And the Royal Shakespeare Theatre which sits on the riverbank. The glass part at the top is a restaurant, I bet the views are amazing up there.

Of course there are many more things to see and do in Stratford On Avon but we are going to have to return because this was all we had time for. Maybe next time we will go the right way and take a walk along the river front. We might even fit in a boat trip!

please pin me

Country Kids

1. September 9, 2017 / 8:46 am

Stratford is one of those places that I can't believe we haven't take the children yet – I think it's brilliant for all ages, but am now attracted by that MAD museum too – sounds great fun and I hadn't even heard of it.
    #countrykids

September 9, 2017 / 6:39 pm

I remember cycling there as a teenager and loving chilling out in the gardens and down by the river. The museum looks great fun for all ages and I love your little video, I don't remember it from my childhood but I'm sure it was there. How amazing to have a Christmas shop all year and Mc Donalds sounds a good shout for lunch on a miserable day. I hope you get to return in the sunshine, it is such a pretty town.

Thank you for sharing with me on #CountryKids

3. michelletwinmum
    September 9, 2017 / 9:51 pm

The MAD museum looks great, I am so glad it turned out to be a successful visit and yes we have to promise something like McDonalds to get the kids out the door sometimes! Mich x #CountryKids

4. hip2trekem
    September 10, 2017 / 4:47 pm

We popped into Stratford the other week just for a few hours. We considered MAD but didn't go in, it was a nice day for wandering, nice to read about what was inside though. #CountryKids

5. Babytraveldiaries
    September 10, 2017 / 7:43 pm

Oh wow, looks beautiful, I have not been since my Oxford days back in 2001 – ouch! Our monkeys probably need to grow a bit. Great to hear you enjoyed MAD, pinning it for later! #countrykids

6. September 12, 2017 / 12:41 pm

We've been to Stratford so many times over the years but not to the MAD museum, looks like I should rectify that soon #CountryKids

7. susankmann
    September 13, 2017 / 11:53 am

I've never been here, but this looks lovely. Your photos have made me want to visit there soon x #countrykids

8. dearmummyblog
    September 13, 2017 / 12:43 pm

We love the look of the Nutcracker and teddy bear shops! Seems very similar to York. Would love to visit Stratford Upon Avon #CountryKids

9. liquoriceuk
    September 13, 2017 / 8:14 pm

What a fun day out. The MAD museum looks fascinating. I love the moving wooden figures, especially the skeleton band, and the marble run making looked like a lot of fun. I briefly visited Stratford a couple of years ago and I remember the Teddy Bear Shop. Jessica loved it in there too 🙂 #countrykids

10. September 13, 2017 / 8:55 pm

The MAD museum is great. We did it on a rainy morning too. Stratford's a great place to explore.

11. rightfromthestart
    September 13, 2017 / 9:47 pm

The mad museum looks great – one of my must visit places when I come home . Perhaps I'll wait a year or 2 until my younger ones have some knowledge of Shakespeare. #countrykids