My Sunday Photo 11th September 2016

drawing by candle light -

On Monday evening we had a power cut. Everything went off half way through Eastenders (tsk.) Apparently there was an explosion and fire in a nearby substation. Some neighbours heard it, but we didn’t.
It happened just before dusk, so one minute we had light streaming in the windows, next it was really dark. We lit candles and fetched the torches out and I was wishing that I’d made that cup of coffee before Eastenders started. I also realised the disadvantages of not having a gas cooker any more.

The kids were both bemused and excited. The laptops still worked, but there was no internet connection. It was too dark to play..what were they going to do? Nothing stops Boo, she grabbed her pencils and began drawing by candlelight. That’s when I captured this photo, no editing or filters, I like it just the way it is.

It was more than two hours before we had our electricity back, by this time the kids had been taken to bed by torchlight.

1. Chantelle Hazelden
    September 11, 2016 / 7:44 am

What a great idea to keep busy, sounds like something my kids would have done.

2. September 11, 2016 / 7:58 am

It's amazing how we can take electricity for granted. I remember we had a power cut in winter when I had my baby daughter in the bath. Not an easy bedtime that night!

3. September 11, 2016 / 9:42 am

This is lovely, it feels like something for years gone by

4. September 11, 2016 / 11:54 am

Aww a lovely photo.. nice that she thought about drawing at a time like that! x

5. Tara
    September 11, 2016 / 12:08 pm

Beautiful photo, something very nostalgic about it. I can't remember the last time we had a power cut (you wait, any second…now). I think you forget what life is like when you can't turn things on. The nearest we get is Earth Hour every year where we switch off for an hour.

6. shazjera
    September 11, 2016 / 12:24 pm

Your photo prompted a discussion with my OH Anne. We remember power cuts when we were young but can't remember them being any 'different.' Obviously we didn't have the electrical equipment that's around today (or computers!).

Love your natural photo and how absorbed Boo looks.

7. September 11, 2016 / 2:49 pm

Aww! Lovely photo! It sounds like a great evening for the kids.

8. September 11, 2016 / 3:55 pm

They immediately wanted to play outside but it got dark so quickly.

9. September 11, 2016 / 3:55 pm

It does, I can just imagine writing by candlelight back then.
    Thanks for hosting

10. September 11, 2016 / 3:56 pm

She doesn't really need any prompting when it comes to drawing and writing, she takes after her mum 😉

11. September 11, 2016 / 3:57 pm

We had one last winter, the kids had just tipped lego all over the floor and the lights went out! Thank goodness for mobile phones so we could see our way to candles and torches.

12. September 11, 2016 / 3:58 pm

I remember too, but we used to get some warning with the strikes and mum would rush out and buy candles ready. You don't get a warning these days, it's a good job I've always got candles and torches.

13. September 11, 2016 / 3:59 pm

They dealt with it very well 🙂

14. shazjera
    September 11, 2016 / 4:47 pm

We always used to have candles and matches in my childhood home …

Can't remember the last power cut we had here but I do have candles and matches too! I think it would affect us more that we would lose our computers/X boxes 🙂

15. Lisa@IntoTheGlade
    September 11, 2016 / 6:23 pm

Oh no what a disaster in the middle of Eastenders too! It reminds me of my 70's childhood. A great picture and I am glad you didn't have to wait too long for it come back on xx

September 11, 2016 / 7:57 pm

I think we should enforce a power cot every night, great to see kids getting creative. Fab photo

17. September 11, 2016 / 8:26 pm

Now wouldn't that be a good idea…so long as Eastenders wasn't on 😉

18. betty
    September 12, 2016 / 3:22 am

It's good to know that not all kids nowadays are permanently connected to electronics! She seems very content with adapting to the circumstances. The picture is really great!

September 12, 2016 / 8:38 am

Hi Anne, as long as it doesn't happen too often power cuts can be fun. It's also part of the reason my stove top is part gas and part electric, although saying that we don't get half as many power cuts in Greece as we used to. Your photo is lovely and atmospheric with the candles adding a soft glow.

As long as my Kindle was fully charged I'd be happy for the electric to go all night!… And thank goodness for BBC iPlayer!

20. September 12, 2016 / 9:13 am

To be honest she's always got a piece of paper and a pen to hand 🙂

21. September 12, 2016 / 9:14 am

haha, yes we did catch up with Eastenders on iPlayer, it doesn't normally bother me missing an episode but watching one half way through was just too frustrating. x

22. travelingchristie
    September 14, 2016 / 9:28 pm

We lost power during a huge storm last night and I don't mind it at all, its nice to have a bit of calm in the house x