Driving Back to the 80s

I was a teenager in the 80s so it’s a very special decade for me. I had a boyfriend in 1982 and he had a Triumph Spitfire Convertible. It was incredible driving along with the the wind in my hair, very exciting for a teenager. Sadly, some jealous person filled the petrol tank with sand and the car was never rescued.

One of my favourite 80s programs was Knight Rider, and Michael Knight’s best friend was his car Kitt, an AI computer module in the body of a highly advanced robotic Pontiac Trans Am. Kitt was always coming to the rescue and I would have given anything to own a futuristic car like that.

Then in 1985, Back to the Future was released with the fabulous De Lorean Time Machine Car. I loved the film and I loved the car. Back to the future also had two brilliant sequels featuring the De Lorean which was finally trashed at the end of the third film by a train. A couple of years ago I got to see Paul Bradbury’s De Lorean at the Gadget Show Live, which he’d modified to look just like the one in the film.

You can see more cars from the 80s Films and Tv over on Virtue Lease Cars site. How many of them do you remember?

I asked my hubby, Graham, which would be his favourite car from 80s Tv and he said it would have to be The General Lee, a Dodge Charger from The Dukes of Hazzard. In the opening  scenes of the show you see the car fly over a police car!

Back here in the UK, cars were not so fancy, in fact it’s hard to find any UK television programs that feature cars, but there is one iconic one. The Trotters Reliant Van from Only Fools and Horses. This one has a special place in my heart as my Dad used to drive a Reliant Van, only his was blue and he did have back windows.

If you have children born in the 80s they may remember the first appearance of Postman Pat. He’s still around today and he’s driving his LDV Sherpa Post Van.

” Everybody knows his bright red van, people stop and smile as he waves to great them.”

I hope you’ve enjoyed my road trip back to the 80s. Do let me know your favourite 80s vehicles or let me know if you’ve heard of the ones I’ve mentioned here.
disclosure: this is a collaborative post, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

1. June 22, 2017 / 8:07 pm

Wow I feel old now lol. Love this post, amazing memories x

2. soniathorpe
    June 22, 2017 / 8:38 pm

My first boyfriend's car was a Ford Capri, I really loved it and thought I was so special having a bf with a car. I can't believe someone put sand in the petrol tank of the Triumph Spitfire. How mean!

3. bavariansojourn
    June 22, 2017 / 8:53 pm

My husband had a Spitfire too, I like to remind him we wouldn't all fit in nowadays! Love the Reliant too, we saw one the other day, my son thought it was broken as it only had 3 wheels! 😀

4. June 22, 2017 / 9:08 pm

yes, it makes me feel pretty old too 🙂

5. June 22, 2017 / 9:09 pm

It was a mean thing to do, he thought it may have been his brother, but he had no proof 🙁

6. June 22, 2017 / 9:09 pm

You don't see many three wheelers around these days!

June 23, 2017 / 3:05 am

Hi Anne, oooOOooo you lucky lady, being driven around in a Spitfire! My Uncle only ever drove a Robin Reliant (manky brown in colour) as he could drive it on a provisional licience, I bet my Aunt would have much preferred the Spitfire!

Kip was a car and a half! I need one like that as I hate driving, but Herbie has to have been my favorite car from the 80's or was that earlier. Herbie was a cheeky car with plenty of sass!

8. June 23, 2017 / 7:55 am

Some great cars there. Pity about your boyfriend's Triumph I can always remember looking out with envy at next door but one's TR7 which was very swish.

9. June 23, 2017 / 9:37 am

I think Herbie was earlier because I remember him from my childhood, I love the old fashioned VW Beetles though and Herbie was the original 'Love Bug' x

10. June 23, 2017 / 9:38 am

I remember a friend at school said his dream car was a TR7, they did look pretty fancy back then. Unfortunately our only other Triumph was a Dolomite, not fancy at all!

11. Jen Walshaw
    June 28, 2017 / 1:35 pm

Oh wow, a Spitfire. My 80's were spent in my Dad's cavalier! I think that I was a late developer when it came to caring about cars

12. July 12, 2017 / 2:25 pm

the 80's were particularly special, with 1985 being a very significant year. It was the year I was born!