Help! My Home is Being Taken Over By Slime.

I went to bed last night and there was a dollop of slime on my bed sheet. I had to strip the bed before I could get in and go to sleep.
There were traces of slime up the stairs too, and on the landing, and no doubt if I went into my daughter’s bedroom the culprit would be found red handed, or should that be slime handed?

You see, Star is obsessed with slime. Not your ordinary, buy in a tub, slime. But home made, make your kitchen look like there has been and explosion of alien pie, slime. She watches videos on YouTube on how to make slime. She watches videos on people playing with slime. She watches videos of slime, slime and even more slime.

She says that slime makes her feel calm. She tells me that some of the videos she watches are sensory and she loves to hear the sounds that slime makes in someone else’s hands.

My girl is weird!

Yesterday she made two different types of slime. One was with Borax (yes, I had to order it online, I’d never heard of it before but apparently it’s a laundry starch) warm water and pva glue. The other was body lotion and cornflour.

Borax Slime

This involves 1 and a half tablespoons of Borax dissolved in a cup of warm water which is then added to around 150 ml of glue and stirred. The mixture should be quite runny still but it will stop sticking to the stirring spoon. Then you leave it for a while. (This bit my daughter finds very difficult, she’s not good at waiting.) Eventually there will be blobs of slime at the bottom of your bowl and the rest will be a watery, almost clear liquid. Then you take out the blobs and squeeze out the remaining water to make your slime.
We have tried this several times and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I can’t tell you why.

If you want to try a UK version of this slime recipe (And I’m sure we will be at some point) then take a look at Someone’s Mum’s post on Rainbow Glitter Slime.

Body Lotion Slime

Finally a use for all those bottles of body lotion that arrive in Christmas gifts that you have never had time to use. Now, I do love body lotion, but there is only so much you can get through in a year. This is my favourite slime because, 1. it smells nice and 2. it contains cornflour. Cornflour is my most favourite sensory product. I absolutely adore the way it feels on my hands. Normally, I can’t stand anything at all on my hands, but cornflour I could play with all day. Plus when you add water you get this amazing solid liquid! It’s like magic, one minute it’s a pouring liquid, but hit it hard and quick with a spoon and it resists like a solid.
Enough of my cornflour enthusing, the recipe to this is quite simple. Put your cornflour into a bowl and mix in the body lotion until you get a nice stretchy, slimy consistency. This lovely slime is not only lovely to play with, it smells great and keeps your hands soft! Of course it also tends to break down sometimes and leave blobs of powdery substance all over the place…including MY BED!!
So today we have NOT been making slime, but I’m sure it won’t be long before the bug bites again.

Cakes

This has nothing to do with slime, but everything to do with YouTube. Boo watches video after video of cakes being made and decorated. Many of them are compilation clips and you get to see cake after cake after cake being made. I have to admit, I do like watching them with her sometimes. She told me there is something calming about watching them, but I don’t find them calming, I find them inspiring! I’d love to be able to make cakes like that. The other day we watched one that she has decided she’d like me to replicate for her birthday. It’s really cute and not that difficult so I’m hoping I can pull it off. I’ll show you if I do.
In the meantime, please take a look at Boo herself decorating a Valentines cake.
Do your kids watch YouTube videos? Which are their favourites? Have you ever tried to make slime at home?

Debs Random Writings
One Messy Mama

1. July 24, 2017 / 9:46 am

I honestly never knew you could make your own slime. I mean I am obviously distressed for you Anne, finding the stuff all over your home, but I'm also impressed that you can do DIY slime. Oh and wow! How awesome is that cake? You have a very talented girl on your hands there #MMBC x

2. July 24, 2017 / 10:28 am

We have had a few slime making weekends. Amazing stuff to make and play with. So far I've contained the activity to the kitchen. It is messy stuff. The cake decorating is lovely. She is obviously enjoying making the cake and being on the video. #MMBC

3. LeilaB
    July 24, 2017 / 10:38 am

My children love slime. Anything to entertain them. But I actually never made any myself. Both my children love youtube . Happy holiday!

4. July 24, 2017 / 12:35 pm

Wow! I've made slime with hair conditioner and cornflour, but now you've given me an idea of how I can use all the excess lotion in our house. That's such a better idea since we always use our hair conditioner- for our hair.

Thanks!

5. July 24, 2017 / 1:05 pm

Really not loving the slime at all. I think the foot would have come down by now – slime would be confined to certain spaces. Like not my living room, bedroom or near my person …

6. July 24, 2017 / 5:00 pm

hehehe! My youngest has been wanting to make slime for months….She watches the YouTube videos too the little weirdo. We are going to make some over the summer holidays sometime. I might try the Body Lotion Slime. What a great use for all those left over bottles x

7. lukeosaurusandme
    July 24, 2017 / 7:51 pm

Slime is the best! My boy loved it when he was a toddler and still loves it now! You just can't beat it.

8. Rachel
    July 24, 2017 / 8:40 pm

Oh don't get me started on slime! It's now band in my house! Every week slime is being made using different ingredients each time. Each one fails.

9. Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...
    July 24, 2017 / 8:43 pm

We have never made slime but Matt got some silly putty in his Christmas stocking that is nicely spread everywhere (walls, carpets, toys etc)

10. July 25, 2017 / 6:19 pm

Thank you for the slime recipes! My daughter made slime with a friend and she's been dying to make some here now!

#MMBC

11. Alana - Burnished Chaos
    July 27, 2017 / 9:01 pm

Thankfully the slime craze hasn't hit our house yet but that cake looks amazing, very talented x
    #GlobalBlogging

12. mommyhomemanager
    July 28, 2017 / 7:00 pm

I keep seeing these slime recipes EVERYWHERE. They sound so fun, but I'm sure the stuff gets everywhere. EW.

13. hjsburnett
    July 29, 2017 / 4:16 pm

My 9 year old is OBSESSED with slime! We have made it with Borax too…but I was just told yesterday that Borax is TOXIC (DAMNIT)!!!! We have also made it with Staflow & glue, shaving cream & contact solution. Good times with slime…Just kidding. I hate slime.
    And now I have a huge box of toxic Borax…

#globalblogging

14. jaxbest
    July 29, 2017 / 5:13 pm

I would hate to climb into a bed with slime… Yuck 🙂 As for the cake watching, my girls love watching you tube clips of cakes and cupcakes being made. Isn't it the cutest… #globalblogging

15. The Thrifty Campers
    July 29, 2017 / 6:16 pm

Haha your daughter sounds like quite a character with quite an imaginative mind. Have to admit the story you shared where the slime went up the stairs and was all over the kitchen like an explosion it amusing. Very interesting how different things have a way with calming one down. Thanks for sharing😄

16. tinmccarthy
    July 30, 2017 / 12:52 pm

You sure you araent talking about my kid here! Oh the Utube videos. Mind numbing,
    Thanks for linking up to #globalblogging

17. July 30, 2017 / 1:09 pm

Haha! It's all about the slime lately isn't it?! The body lotion recipe is genius, will have to try that one out.

Thanks so much for sharing with #MMBC. Hope to see you Monday x

18. August 2, 2017 / 9:47 pm

Umm. .homemade slime? I'm definitely getting my son involved in this, I'm one of those strange mums who actually loves messy play! We haven't got to the YouTube phase yet, unless you count watching countless episodes of pepp pig!xx #blogcrush