The instructions say..”Be sure to think truly appalling thoughts as you make this torte – you will find that the screams of your victims will have an extra edge of misery if you do.”
Well, I didn’t really have appalling thoughts but I did make it while in a lot of pain, so hopefully some of my victims felt the benefit…*insert evil cackle*
Actually, as you can see from this recipe, the torte is incredibly delicious and I would definitely make it again.
Night Terror Torte
Ingredients, serves 8 monsters:
- Put half the sugar and the measured water in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the orange slices and cook over a low heat for 30 minutes until the oranges are tender and most of the syrup has evaporated. let cool.
- Roll out the pasty on a lightly floured surface until a little larger than a greased 9 1/2 inch fluted loose-bottomed tart tin.
- line the tin with the pasty and chill for 15 minutes
- Line the tart with nonstick baking paper, add baking beans and place on a baking sheet.
- bake in a preheated oven, 190C gas mark 5 for 10 minutes
- Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C, gas mark 4
- Beat together the butter and the remaining sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the ground almonds, then gradually beat in the eggs until smooth. Set Aside
- Reserve 10 of the best orange slices, then drain and chop the rest.
- Stir the chocolate into the almond mixture, then mix in the chopped oranges.
- Spread into the tart case, arrange the reserved orange slices on top and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before removing from the tin.
Pin this for later!