This week it was pudding week on The Great British Bake Off. We had steamed puddings for signature bakes, molten chocolate puddings for technical and Trifles for show stopper bakes.
Now my miserable family are not keen on puddings unless they are chocolate so I didn’t have much choice but to go for the molten chocolate puddings for my bake.
The next problem was…there are seven of us and most recipes for individual puddings were for 4 or six. So I had to do some adjusting and my recipe makes seven puddings, made in regular ramekins.
If I’m honest, they were not perfect to look at, but they did pass the taste test.
I added a little white chocolate to the kids puddings, both in the middle and on top. For the adults we had to make do with dark chocolate because the white didn’t go very far (or it may have got eaten by a family member when I left it in the fridge!)
The other puddings fared even worse for presentation…it’s a minus 4 from me! As soon as I took them out of the ramekins they collapsed as the middle bit oozed out. Too much chocolate maybe? I think they might have needed a little more cooking. I was under the impression that they had to be served straight from the oven, which I’m sure contributed to them breaking up.
Here is my recipe (if you want it!)
- 200g butter
- 200g dark chocolate
- 100g white chocolate (if adding)
- 5 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 75gg self raising flour
- tbs of cocoa powder.
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter in bowl over a pan of hot water. (or carefully in the microwave) set aside to cool
- in a large bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale and light
- fold the chocolate into the egg mixture
- add the flour and cocoa powder and fold in
- grease 7 ramekin moulds
- divide the mixture between the moulds place on a baking tray. If adding white chocolate put a chunk into the top of the mixture, no need to push it in as it will sink while baking.
- bake in a pre-heated oven 180C/gas mark 4 for 10 – 12 minutes
- when baked, loosen the puddings and turn out carefully onto serving plates.