Star’s Neck – The Next CT Scan

After much pushing I was pleased to hear that the hospital wanted to see Star for another CT scan. Not exactly the result I wanted, but an opportunity to get myself to the consultant and ask a few important questions. My plan was to attend the scan then make my way up to the consultants office and sit outside, all day if necessary, to get my questions answered.
So we arrived first thing this morning and were soon told that the consultant would be joining us for the scan. Whoo hoo, I had my opportunity to speak to him without making a nuisance of myself.
Of course he was very busy so we had to wait nearly an hour past our appointment time before…his assistant, turned up. The scan was detailed with Star having to go in twice in different positions. The second position was really uncomfortable for her and she ended up in tears.The consultants assistant then asked me if I was able to stay and join him up on the ward with the consultant so they could discuss with me what was going to happen next. Of course I wasn’t going to refuse.

It took another two hours but I eventually got my questions answered and a plan of action. Star is going back into hospital on Monday for a manipulation under a general anaesthetic. Now just in case you’ve not been following her story, the simplest way to put it is; the joint at the top of the spine has moved a little due to the top disc of her spine rotating and now Star’s neck is stuck in a ‘cock robin’ position.

excuse the tongue, she’s at that stage where every photo is accompanied by a tongue out or silly face.

Star normally wears a collar, day and night, to keep her neck up. It hasn’t really helped in keeping it straight although that was what it was intended for originally. However, keeping her neck up means she can eat, drink and breathe normally, things she was having problems with before she had the collar. The photo above shows her with the collar off for a short time. An hour or so later and her head would fall further and further towards her shoulder and that’s when the pain and problems occur.

Back to today – the consultant wants to manipulate the joint back to it’s proper position. This means her neck will be straight again and the pain will go away eventually, it’s bound to hurt for a while afterwards. Worst case scenarios are also there but I don’t want to think about them. Currently I’m stressing out about my little girl having a general anaesthetic, it’s not a good experience. 
All along I’ve been hoping we could get away with this but the none-invasive methods haven’t worked so I have to go with whatever will make my little girl well again. 
The consultant also said that she may need a halo collar. This is an over the shoulders collar that hold a ring, or halo, that is attached to the skull so that the neck does not move at all. I’m hoping that it doesn’t come to that, I’ve read all about them and I don’t think Star would be happy at all.
So for now I’m hoping and praying for the best possible outcome, that the manipulation works and my little girl is fixed at last. She could be well and ‘normal’ for Christmas.

1 Comment

  1. December 3, 2013 / 11:10 pm

    yes we are right with you praying for the best outcome for star. xxx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *