My Big Night In

I do have nights out occasionally, but as a mother of five a night in is usually the best option, much less stress, much cheaper and just as much fun.

So what would I do with £750 to plan a big night in? This is my entry into Little Stuffs Blogger competition in association with Two Little Fleas.

I’m moving into my new house next week and currently we have a small tv, so I’d love to treat the whole family to a bigger television so we could spend our night in watching some great movies.

42 tv from John Lewis £469

So what would our viewing choice be? It would have to be our family favourite, Toy Story!

Toy Story box set around £19.95

Of course there would be food involved. In our new home we have a lovely big dining room which is something we’ve not had before, so first up I’d love to buy some new tablewear.

I love this mexican style Cabo range from John Lewis. I’d spend around £130 on this.
Cabo range dining set, John Lewis

I love to cook so I’d be happy to make the food. We’d have Chicken and Mango Salad.

Ingredients
250g pack cherry tomatoes, sliced or quartered
2 tbsp finely chopped jalapeños
small handful coriander, roughly chopped
juice 1 lime, plus halves to serve
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 cooked chicken breasts, torn into bite-sized shreds
2 Little Gem lettuces, torn into bite-sized pieces
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
1 ripe mango, stoned, peeled and diced
handful tortilla chips, broken up a little
Method
Put the cherry tomatoes, jalapeños, coriander, lime juice, onion and oil in a large bowl with some seasoning.
Pop the remaining ingredients, except the tortilla chips, on top of the dressing. Gently mix the salad together to coat.
Sprinkle the tortilla chips over the top and serve immediately with lime halves.

Of course I would have to make a cake too, this one would fit the menu
Dulce Le Leche Cake with Pumpkin Seed Brittle

Finally, with the kids tucked up snug in bed I’d settle in front of my new tv and watch some of my favourite programs like The Walking Dead, or Under The Dome. My big night in wouldn’t be finished just yet though. I have the perfect ending right here.

Champagne and chocolates from John Lewis

All this and food comes to £750, lots for the whole family to enjoy. In fact, we might never go out again 🙂

1. September 13, 2013 / 10:08 am

I was going to do a post of my own on this, but now I've seen yours I don't think I'll bother. Can I come to yours if you win?
    (I just had to click on that cake recipe, and now my salad is looking far too uninteresting)!

• September 13, 2013 / 10:43 am

Of course you can come, I am most definitely having a go at making that cake!

2. September 13, 2013 / 12:09 pm

I've done a post on this, too, and I went for a games & movie night. I do really want that cake you've got there, though, so maybe we should combine our nights?! #PoCoLo

• September 13, 2013 / 9:14 pm

I had a brilliant night in recently with friends, playing board games, that was my first idea, but then I saw your post so had to come up with something else, but yes, lets combine, games, movies and lovely cake 🙂

3. September 13, 2013 / 1:59 pm

i was going to take part but mine would not be that interesting!

• September 13, 2013 / 9:12 pm

Jaime, I'm sure anything you'd arrange would be fun, I'd love to come 🙂

4. September 13, 2013 / 5:09 pm

Can we do a party swap? Popping over from PoCoLo but I'm also a Big Night In-ner. 😀

• September 13, 2013 / 9:12 pm

Looks like we could all be having one massive party 🙂

5. September 13, 2013 / 6:39 pm

Ohh what a fab night in that would be! x

6. September 13, 2013 / 9:03 pm

What is the movie you would watch with your husband, after the kids have gone to bed? Hubby and I love Period Dramas so for us it might be something like "Young Victoria" or "Julie and Julia".

• September 13, 2013 / 9:10 pm

I'd force him to watch Mama Mia, he's never managed a full sitting 😉

7. September 14, 2013 / 6:13 pm

My son's now 16 and we haven't had a 'big night in' for ages as I'm always taking him out to a local music venue for big nights out. Tonight we're staying in and having a curry and film night, and he can like it or lump it! And I will NOT be letting him escape to his room to watch re-runs of family guy – he can indulge me for once! Not quite seven hundred and fifty quid's worth – more seven pounds fifty – but I'm quite looking forward to it 🙂

• September 14, 2013 / 9:05 pm

you have a point there, you don't need to have a big budget to have a fun night in 🙂