My Sunday Photo 9th October 2016

two giant african tortoise

My photo this week was take from a recent visit to our local Wildlife Conservation Park. It’s one of our favourite places to visit and not far from home.

These are two gorgeous African Spurred Tortoise and it’s hard to tell from the photo but they are HUGE! They are the third largest species of tortoise in the world and I’d say the bigger one was around two foot long. They were also surprisingly quick on their feet.

It took me a while to work out why it was called a spurred tortoise but you can just about see the spurs just under his back flank.

Such beautiful and big creatures. They are often kept as pets because of their nature but are difficult to look after because they need a very large enclosure. That I can believe, these are bigger than my cats.

OneDad3Girls

You can also find Raisie Bay on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube   Thank you for visting x

1. October 9, 2016 / 10:24 am

They look amazing, what beautiful creatures they are, I've only ever seen small tortoises so would love to see how huge these are in real life.

2. October 9, 2016 / 10:52 am

I love these. My youngest loves tortoises so much

3. sarahmo3w
    October 9, 2016 / 11:30 am

What a lovely photo. Tortoises always look so peaceful.

4. October 9, 2016 / 1:59 pm

They do look absolutely huge but they always look so calm don't they? Maybe that's why they live such a long time!!

5. comfortspring
    October 9, 2016 / 2:29 pm

I think tortoises are fascinating. Great shots!

6. shazjera
    October 9, 2016 / 4:54 pm

Oh wow! That's big!

I've learnt something today Anne ­čÖé

Have a great week x

October 10, 2016 / 5:50 pm

Hi Anne, we do get wild (positively angry) tortoise here, although I've not seen one for several years. Unfortunately, they are one of the creatures that lose their lives during the wildfires. They are nowhere near as impressive as the African spurred tortoise, though. A two-foot long notice must be a sight be a sight to see. And I must say their shells have a beautifully healthy sheen.