As a child I liked nothing more than a good colouring book and a pack of pens or pencils. There was no better gift at Christmas or on my birthday and I would forever have my nose stuck in a colouring book or drawing pad.
My kids are no different, they love drawing and colouring too. For years now I’ve always felt a little sneaky when I’ve borrowed one of the kid’s books and coloured in a picture myself, but now adult colouring is actually a thing!
In fact it’s a really good thing and highly encouraged.
When I was in hospital last year my husband took me down to the hospital shop to buy some magazines to keep me occupied. Then I saw an adult colouring book and some pencils and bought them instead. I found them very therapeutic, and since then I’ve not stopped colouring.
Why is Adult Colouring so Good for you?
- Colouring reduces anxiety and by focusing on the colouring you can prevent negative and unhelpful thoughts entering your mind. Keeping you calm and relaxed and not focusing on physical or emotional pain. Psychologists have been prescribing colouring books to their patients for years.
- Colouring uses parts of the brain that enhance concentration and focus which help with problem solving and organisation skills. You are using your brain to balance complex colour schemes and make the picture aesthetically pleasing.
- Colouring helps your fine motor skills and vision by incorporating the parts of the brain needed to do these things and of course the physical exercise.
- Colouring allows you to let leash your inner creative. You can colour in any way you want and choose any colours or colour combinations that you desire. It takes you back to your childhood and reconnect you with your inner child. Therapists believe that this can stop you from being so hard on yourself and so self-critical.
- Meditation is the art of doing nothing, it’s also the art of emptying the mind which helps you relax. A lot of people find it difficult to meditate but colouring can give help to induce a meditative state. Mandalas are perfect for this with their concentric designs.
- Colouring has an end result which means you get a sense of achievement. So, as well as the health benefits you also get a feeling of accomplishment and have something nice that you may wish to display…even if it’s only on your fridge door!
Emma and Three has Twelve Free printable Affirmations for you to download and colour.