Occasionally, Raisie Bay will bring you informative and interesting posts from other contributors. I hope you find this one one useful.
Every parent will tell you the joy that comes with having a baby. And when you are a first-time parent, then it becomes even more exciting. However, most parents will also attest to the fact that the preparation involved; can prove to be a bit overwhelming. For instance, shopping for an infant car seat and prams will need you to be well informed. The reason these purchases can prove to be overwhelming is that there are so many items out there in different styles, models, and quality.
When it comes to your baby’s comfort and development, infant car seats and prams may be one of the essential purchases you will make as a parent.
Below is a guide on how to go about buying the most suitable stroller and car seat for your newborn.
- Consider The Compatibility Of Your Car
Baby car seats come with the option of attaching it using either the seat belt or the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children system). Therefore, it is advisable to go through the manual of your vehicle before you go shopping for a baby car seat. It’s also important to measure your back seat to know how much room is available for the infant seat. After all, you want it to fit perfectly without any issues before the baby can start using it.
- Carrier or Convertible
There are two types of infant car seats – a carrier and a convertible seat. Each of these has its advantages and disadvantages. Most parents prefer carrier seats because you can easily detach them from the car and carry it with the baby in it. This means, even if the baby is sleeping, they can remain sound asleep even when moving from the car.
Convertibles are also beneficial, especially when you want something that can suit your baby in all stages. One benefit of a convertible infant car seat is that it can be turned around to face forward when the baby reaches the required weight, height, and age. The only problem is that this type of car seats can’t leave the car.
- Ensure Baby’s Safety
Your baby’s safety must be a priority when you go baby shopping. And because safety technology changes so frequently, it is of great importance to buy a brand new product. Check for the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association stamp on the item to confirm that it has gone through the requisite quality assessment.
- Check For Important Features
Essential features that guarantee protection for your baby include the 5-point harness. These include two shoulder straps, two waist straps, one strap that runs in the middle of the leg and connects with the rest, side-impact protection, and the LATCH system. With these features, your baby is firmly supported in the seat.
- Choose Something Easy To Clean
It is advisable that when buying a car seat, you decide on one with smooth fabrics that are easy to clean. With time, you will realize that babies can make a lot of mess. Hygiene is essential for your baby’s general health. Therefore, you do not want a fabric like a corduroy that will hold on to some dirt.
What To Look For When Buying a Stroller
- Wheels – large and air-filled wheels are best for any surface. They keep the stroller firm and steady.
- Frame – Look for lightweight frames instead of bulky, but insist on quality and durability. Ensure that the frame of the stroller is not too heavy to push with the baby inside.
- Brakes – The brakes should always lock with wheels simultaneously.
- Canopy – This feature should be able to protect your child from the sun and wind. A canopy is also good when it can offer ventilation for hot days.
- Underneath Storage – Remember you want stability, and hanging bags on the handlebar can cause the little one’s carriage to be at risk of tipping over. Therefore, buy a stroller that has sufficient storage underneath it. Remember that there is always so much to carry for a baby.
Shopping for a baby is both fun and overwhelming at the same time. However, knowing what to look out for when you go out shopping can save you from making some very expensive mistakes.
Previous post on Raisie Bay on importance of car seats