I came across a thread of people talking about the things that they have bought during lockdown. It seems lockdown buying has had a boost and people have been spending on all sorts from necessities to luxuries. First up, here is my list of purchases that I probably would not have bought if we had not been in lockdown.
My Lockdown Buying List
- laptop – I bought my son a new laptop but the girl’s are on loan from their school.
- Garden Furniture – during the summer lockdown we needed more seating for the garden
- Pyjamas – new for me and the kids. We have been getting dressed every day, but it seems like pjs are the luxury clothing now
- printer ink and paper – quite a common one, lots of things printed off for school
- Books, physical, ebooks and audio books
- Headphones- so the kids can listen to their lessons. But ones with microphones fitted which they didn’t have before.
- Multiple Charger plugs – argh, so many gadgets to charge all the time
- Vitamin D tablets – we don’t get out enough
- Educational programs – both for the kids and myself.
- Disney+ although our subscription didn’t last long as we couldn’t put it on our old television
I think I’m fairly normal in my extra purchases. I did buy a new freezer, but only because our old one was, well, old. We needed it and would have bought it anyway, it wasn’t to store any extra food.
Top Ten Things People Have Been Buying During Lockdown
Now, for the top ten purchases. This is by no means qualified by sales reports, just by what others have been saying they have bought and my own research. I will include some links to products which may be affliate links. It’s up to you whether you click through or not.
- Clothing – mostly because the type of clothing people have been wearing in lock down has changed. Daily exercise is allowed as is going for walks so many people have invested in sports wear and outdoor clothing such as waterproofs, wellies and running shoes. There has also been an increase in loungewear, including pyjamas and loose fitting clothing. Also, warm sweaters or even dressing gowns (or Oodies) have been popular for outdoor use and for keeping warm at home without having the heating on all day.
- Kitchen Gadgets – More people have been spending time in the kitchen trying out more cooking and gadgets have become popular, sandwich toasters, bread makers, soup makers, slow cookers, smoothie maker, yoghurt maker and anything else of use. People have also invested in new or extra fridges and freezers for storage and dishwashers to help with the cleaning.
- Television Entertainment – It’s boring being stuck at home all day and sometimes terrestrial television is not enough. So there has been an increase in subscriptions to providers like Netflix, Britbox, Amazon Prime Video and Disney+. There is a lot available for those seeking to chill out in front of the TV or occupy the kids.
- Gaming Entertainment – There have been more people buying gaming consoles and new games. Some games are great for getting the whole family playing together. You can keep the kids entertained, you can have fun yourself, or you can use your consoles for exercise, the Ring Fit is a popular choice. Some Adults and older children now have virtual headsets for a better gaming experience. Sliding away from the entertainment side, gadgets have also been purchased for keeping in touch with others. iPads and phones are used for keeping in touch with friends and relatives
- Headphones/Earpods – these are a necessity when you have more than one child learning online. They need to concentrate on their own classes. They also provide a way for them to keep in touch with their friends if they have microphones. They are also ideal if you need to conduct meetings online for work. They are great for listening to your own type of music without disturbing anyone, listening to music or podcasts while exercising, and listening to audio books.
- Non Electronic Entertainment – With a lot of the kids school work being done on screens it’s great to get away from them for a while and try something new. Board games have been popular as have jigsaw puzzles, painting by numbers and other arts and crafts. Also lots of wool for those who knit and crochet and material for those that sew. People have been learning new skills and making new things.
- Books – Books are a great way to get away from it all, immerse yourself in an adventure, romance, horror, whatever takes your fancy. They are also great for kids, younger ones love being read to, older ones love to curl up with a good story. But you can also learn from books, and educational books have seen a big increase in purchases.
- Health Products – Being healthy is really important. A lot of people have not been living the lives they normally lead and although healthy eating should be a priority it’s not always possible. This means people have been buying more health products from vitamins to heat pads. There has also been an increase in the need for exercise aids such as yoga mats, exercise bikes fitness steps, electric scooters and so on.
- Educational Products – Children have mostly had their lessons online, but there is also a need for extra educational books and writing utensils. There are online tutors and education resources you can pay for. Not just the children though, a lot of adults have been learning new stuff too. I guess we can also add printer paper and ink to this category, this has been a vital resource for many. If you are looking for graphics you can get svg images free here.
- Pets – There is no better time to have a pet than when you are at home all the time and they make great company too. Many animals have found new homes during lockdown.
I’m Sure There is More Buying Going on!
My list is not extensive, I’m pretty sure there is a lot more that can be added to it. People may be buying more food than usual during lockdown, or more take aways. And what about Face Coverings, or cleaning products. I’ve heard of a lot of people investing in robot cleaners and I was tempted…but then I realised that with all this time at home why would you need something else to do the cleaning for you. I guess it must be those that need to clean up several times a day thanks to children or pets.
I’m thinking that many homes have been cleaned from top to bottom, cleaning product sales must be really high. Also, it has been a great time for having a good clean out of all the things you don’t need, so those looking to buy stuff second hand will have been able to buy more.
When the first lockdown happened, a lot of people relied on the comfort of their own back garden, so they probably decided they needed to have new garden equipment from lawnmowers to washing lines, swings to hot tubs.
What sort of things could you add to the list? What have you been buying during lockdown?
Shop With Raisiebay and support my blog.